Class Schedule of ELE648,
For Fall, 2011
Date Modified: Sept 8, 2011.
There will be two lectures each week (Tues. and Thurs. between 11:00AM and 12:15PM),
some laboratory experiments, reading and network surfing to
learn tools and languages, and two homeworks (projects).
Homework 1 and presentation 50%, Homework 2 and presentation 50%.
Lectures: 11:00am--- 12:15pm, Tuesday and Thursday.
Tentative Course Plan for the Fall Semester of 2011
ELE 648 Advanced Topics in Computer Architecture
- Week 1 and 2 (9/8-9/15): Overview, introduction, and
basic concepts of computer architecture;
- Week 3 (9/20-9/22):
Main Memory organizations;
Memory Hierarchy Concepts,
CPU organization and scheduling.
- Week 4 (9/27-9/29):
SCSI, Disks, and storage hierarchy;
- Week 5 (10/4-10/6): Homework 1 Proposal Presentations
- Week 6 (10/11-10/13):
Virtual Machines, concept, architecture,
and storage I/Os.
- Week 7 (10/18-10/20): Virtualization,
VMWare, ESX, ESXi,
and iSCSI SAN in VMware.
- week 8 (10/25-10/27) Cache concepts, storage hiearchy.
- Week 9 (11/1-11/3):
Homework 1 report presentations and Homework 2 proposal presentations
- Week 10 (11/8-11/10)
I/Os in virtual machines, and VMotions,
- Week 11 (11/15-11/17):
No class, Project experiments in the lab.
developing virtual appliances,
- Week 12 (11/22) Disk I/O Architectures; (11/24): Thanksgiving Recess, no class.
- Week 13 to Week 15 (11/29-12/8):
Advanced topics in computer architecture research.
- Week 16 (12/16) 8AM--11AM
Final Project Presentations and demonstration.